Costa Rica Summer Program
Our Costa Rica program is ideal for high school students with a strong interest in environmental sustainability, and particularly regenerative agriculture and sustainable living. Your Sustainable Summer experience will span from Costa Rica’s legendary Pacific beaches to the tropical rainforests near its Caribbean coast. You’ll be living in or alongside some of Costa Rica’s most important biological reserves while learning about integrated sustainability initiatives to protect these valuable resources, and the many challenges that remain.
Picture yourself living on an organic farm on the edge of a national park, where you’ll help produce the food that sustains the local community. Or on a guided night hike through Costa Rica’s virgin rainforest, when the jungle really comes alive. You’ll feel the rush of rafting Costa Rica’s world famous whitewater, play soccer with local kids, and come to understand why the essential Costa Rican phrase – pura vida – is the perfect embodiment of this beautiful place and the Tico people that call it home.
Why Costa Rica?
Costa Rica has been the model for sustainable economic development in Latin America for a generation. With the capability to meet 100% of its energy needs from renewables, no standing military, a high quality of life, and a legacy of conservation, can Costa Rica’s successes serve as a bridge to a future model for development?
In this Sustainable Summer Program…
- You’ll visit an indigenous community and learn traditional agricultural practices
- You’ll learn about the implementation of small-scale, decentralized, and renewable energy production
- You’ll take a short course on regenerative agriculture and the renowned EARTH University
- You’ll harvest crops and practice permaculture at an organic farm
- You’ll develop homesteading skills such as fermentation and soap-making
- You’ll learn about natural building and work with natural building materials and techniques