Leadership Expeditions Flight Information
This information is for students participating in one of our programs outside the US. The most detailed travel information can be found in an enrolled family’s MySummer account. However, this is a general overview intended for prospective families.
Sustainable Summer designates a recommended international group flight, which students are encouraged to take. This flight typically departs from a major international airport. Most students will fly from their local airport and make a connection to our international group flight. The prospect of changing planes and locating the rest of the group can cause some anxiety for both participants and parents, but as long as ample connection time is allocated, there is very little reason for concern. All students are provided with very clear instructions for how to meet up with the group and t-shirts are mailed to students, to be worn on travel day, to help make identification easier.
It’s important to note four things about our group flights:
- Not all flights have an adult chaperone/flight escort
- With few exceptions, Sustainable Summer does not purchase flights for you*
- Do not make any flight reservations until explicitly directed by Sustainable Summer
- Students NOT traveling on our designated group flight will be assessed a $35 fee if they arrive on a flight other than our specified group flight and/or a $35 fee for departing on a non-group flight ($70 total). Students must verify BEFORE BOOKING all non-group flight travel itineraries
* Internal flights, for instance flights from mainland Ecuador to the Galapagos on our Galapagos programs, are purchased by Sustainable Summer and invoiced to families. Charter flights are also booked directly by Sustainable Summer.
Leadership Academies Travel Information
This information is for students participating in one of our programs in the US. The most detailed travel information can be found in an enrolled family’s MySummer account. However, this is a general overview intended for prospective families.
Participants are responsible for arranging their own transportation to and from campus. Most students are either dropped off on campus by car or arrive by plane to a major airport. We do not coordinate airport transfers for students traveling by plane, but will provide detailed information about suggested airports and ground transportation options. We also compile all student travel information and share with participants to enable to students to meetup and travel together. If you plan to arrive to a program by plane and are concerned about ground transportation logistics, please have a look at the FAQs for your program of interest for additional details.