Jan 1st, 2020
Here at sustainablesummer.org we are sensitive to protecting the private information that you provide to us. Our mission is to offer you useful information about educational programs operated by Sustainable Learning Inc. In order for sustainablesummer.org to make those services available, we ask you to submit personal information. This policy will give details on how sustainablesummer.org, and any sub-domain at sustainablesummer.org (eg; my.sustainablesummer.org) uses the information that you provide to us and why we ask for the information that we do.
While visiting sustainablesummer.org, there may be times that we will ask you to submit personal information in order to provide better service and/or additional information to you.
- sustainablesummer.org will not sell or rent any of your personal information to any other companies or organizations.
- sustainablesummer.org will only collect personal information that is necessary to conduct our business. For example, prospective students are asked to provide biographical information, including age, grade, school, and other information that our admissions committee requires to make an informed decision about the prospective student’s candidacy for one of our programs. And since we have a duty of care for the safety and well-being of students attending one of our programs, additional personal information is required of students that have elected to enroll in a program, including medical history.
- If, at any time, you would like to know what Personal Information we have collected, or would like to have your personal information deleted, please contact us; upon request, we will work to delete and/or export your Personal Information from our files within a reasonable time. Please note that certain Personal Information is necessary for us to operate our programs in a safe and professional manner and requests by participants enrolled in an upcoming program to have their Personal Information deleted may not be possible without first withdrawing the participant from the program. In such case, our usual refund and cancelation policies will be applicable.
- sustainablesummer.org does not share your billing information with any other companies or organizations except to process your credit card or bank information for your Sustainable Summer or Sustainable Learning payments, or unless required by law.
Personal information is information that you provide that identifies you. You will be asked to disclose personal information on sustainablesummer.org when you (a) request additional information about one of our programs or to be contacted by one of our representatives, (b) apply for a Sustainable Summer program, (c) apply for a summer job on-line, and/or (d) email sustainablesummer.org.
We Collect Some Information Automatically
When you use sustainablesummer.org, we may automatically recognize information like your IP address, what type of device you’re using, high-level location information (e.g., city or state), and your user behavior (such as how long you stay on the website and which links you click on).
Some of the third party vendors that we use to provide services for sustainablesummer.org (e.g. analytics) may also use their own tracking technologies on our digital properties to help us run and optimize our platforms. These third parties may collect information about your online activities over time and across sustainablesummer.org and other online properties.
Opting Out of Tracking
If you wish to disable cookies and other use-tracking technologies, your browser settings may enable you to do so. Please be aware, though, that disabling cookies may change or reduce the functionality of sustainablesummer.org in certain contexts (e.g., we will not be able to store your password for login purposes). Users who wish to opt out of Google Analytics data collection may use Google’s own browser add-on to do so.
Children Under 13 Years of Age
sustainablesummer.org does not knowingly solicit or collect information from children ages 12 and under without obtaining explicit parental consent. If you become aware that your child (who is under 13) has provided us with information without your consent, please contact us; upon request, we will work to delete your child’s Personal Information from our files within a reasonable time.
Citizens of the EU under 16 Years of Age
Citizens of the EU that are under 16 years of age must provide us with written consent from a parent or legal guardian before submitting any data on this Site. The consent should be emailed to email@example.com and identify the names and email addresses of both the parent and minor in question, as well as the country of residence and date, and state that the minor “has permission to use the Site in accordance with all policies that would otherwise be applicable for any other user not subject to this requirement.” If you become aware that your child (who is an EU citizen under 16) has provided us with information without your consent, please contact us; upon request, we will work to delete your child’s Personal Information from our files within a reasonable time.
Sustainable Summer Disclaimer
Our goal at sustainablesummer.org is to provide you with an informative, fun, and user-friendly Web site. In doing so, we have posted content and material that we feel is suitable to our users. We have also provided links to other Web sites that you will find appropriate and informative. However, sustainablesummer.org does not endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information or content contained on or the distribution through websites linked to or from this Web site. Users that view sites linked off sustainablesummer.org do so of their accord and reliance upon any information or material shall be at the users sole risk. Additionally, sustainablesummer.org is not responsible for the copyright compliance, legality or decency of material contained in sites linked to from this Web site or subsequent links from other site.
Access to this Site and the Services (as defined below) is void and unauthorized where prohibited by applicable law or regulation.
1) Description of the Site. SLI and the Site provide information on educational travel programs for high school and gap year students. The Site enables Users to review available programs, request to be contacted by SLI representatives, request a e-newsletter or catalogue, submit an application for participation in a program as well as enter available Promotions (the “Services”).
2) What information does the Site collect?
Visitor Activity. Visitors, or non-Applicants, to the Site may choose to browse, search and examine any information made available to non-Applicants on the Site without providing any PII. When you visit our Site as a Visitor, we collect only information you provide or submit to the Site directly, information you send to us by email, information you provide when requesting a brochure, information you provide when requesting to be contacted by one of our representatives, information and messages you send or post through our accounts on third party social networks (such as Facebook, YouTube or Twitter), and any comments you post or information or message you send through Services. The foregoing statement not withstanding, our servers may recognize and collect information on Visitors’ IP addresses and any usage information on pages visited.
Application Process. In order to apply for participation in one of the travel programs offered on the Site, Users are required to submit an online application (“Application”). When submitting an Application with the Site, you will be asked to provide some PII about yourself (“Application Data”). An Application may require such PII as name, email address, birth date, gender, address, schools, parent or legal guardian contact information, passport information and, if applicable, credit card information. Both during the Application process and afterwards we may request additional demographic and personal information.
Information Package (health & financial information): As part of the Application process, you and your parents (or legal guardians) may be asked to review and approve documents and rules governing your participation in a travel program. These forms may require your and your parents (or legal guardians’) signature, name, address and other PII. In addition, you might be asked to submit various health related information necessary for safe participation in our travel programs. These forms may also require the submissions of information by a qualified doctor. Such information may include emergency contact information, known allergies, medication taken, food allergies and other medical concerns. Also, in the event you wish to apply for financial scholarship or assistance, you might be asked to provide financial information such as parent income.
Submissions to the Site. Submissions include the upload, submission, sending, posting or communication, where and if available, by Users of any comment, opinion, answer, response, question, photograph, video, image, text or other content to the Site. Any PII or Submission that you voluntarily disclose on the Site is collected by us. This may include any information you submit as part of your Application.
Brochure Requests. Users may request the emailing of an electronic brochure. When submitting a request we collect contact information including name, email address, school and phone number.
Surveys & Newsletters. We may now or in the future send or run surveys or provide newsletters to our Users. At such time we may request certain PII such as name, email address and demographic information (such as zip code, age and school affiliation).
Usage Information. We may collect information about your usage, such as when you use the Site, the information you review, the frequency and size of data transfers, as well as information you display or click on in the Site.
Click-Through URLs. In some of our email messages we may use a “click-through URL” linked to content on the Site. When Users click one of these URLs, they pass through our web server before arriving at the destination web page. We may, now or in the future, track this click-through data to help us determine interest in particular topics and measure the effectiveness of our communications.
3) How do we use the information you provide us? We use PII such as your name, address, your parents (or legal guardians) contact information, school, phone number and e-mail address in order to provide you with the Services.
Any PII collected as a result of interactions initiated through our Sites, are used to enable Services and features. We may share your PII with our agents, representatives, contractors and service providers so they can provide us with support services such as authorization of credit card or bank transactions, e-mail origination, support services, customer relationship management services or order fulfillment. We may also use such PII to determine if you comply with the T&Cs or any of the other policies or rules provided on this Site. We use PII collected as health information to assure the safety of Users applying for any specific travel program. The health information is also provided to our local travel partners to assure access in the event of an emergency. Unless you opt-out, we may use your e-mail or other PII to send commercial or marketing messages without your further consent. Be advised that we use your e-mail address and other contact information provided by you to contact you regarding certain Submissions, including communications and inquiries you make of the Site or SLI. We may also use your e-mail address without further consent for non-marketing or administrative purposes (such as notifying you of major Site changes or customer service purposes). We use both your PII and certain non-PII (such as anonymous user data, cookies, IP addresses, browser type, click stream data, etc.) to improve the quality and design of the Site and to create new features, promotions, functionality and services by storing, tracking, analyzing and processing User preferences and trends, as well as User activity and communications. Note: Your PII may be passed on to a third party in the event of a transfer of assets of SLI or a bankruptcy. We may also disclose PII when we determine that such disclosure is necessary to comply with applicable law, to cooperate with law enforcement or to protect the interests or safety of SLI or other Users of the Site. Whenever PII is disclosed under this paragraph, we may also disclose your demographic information on a non-anonymous basis. How Does SLI Protect Users Personal Information? We implement a variety of security measures to ensure the security of your PII on our systems. When you enter sensitive information (such as credit card number) on our Application forms, we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your PII, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Third parties may unlawfully attempt to intercept or access transmissions or private communications and other Users may abuse or misuse your personal information that they collect from the Site. Although we work very hard to protect your privacy, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information or private communications will always remain private.
5) Is Any Information Collected Directly by Third Parties: When submitting an entry into any of our Promotions, your PII may be collected by a third party vendor assisting us or managing our Promotion. Except to any extent that PII may be backed up or cached on their servers, all information collected by the third party vendor shall be remitted directly to us. The third party vendor shall be under contract not to use or keep any of the PII collected on our behalf. Except as provided in this Agreement, none of the information you submit to the Site is collected directly by third parties.
7) How do you change PII provided or OPT-OUT? SLI gives Users an option for modifying or removing some information from our database. To update, modify or delete such information, follow the instructions provided on the Site or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will comply with your requests as reasonably as we can. Please note that we require some PII for billing and administrative purposes. While you may remove your PII from our database at any time, you acknowledge that we may retain archived or cached copies of your PII. Please submit any questions and requests regarding your PII submitted as part of an Application to email@example.com.