Sustainable Learning can put together a custom program for your school or organization. We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit based in Brooklyn, NY that specializes in environmental leadership pre-college and study abroad programs for high school students. Our expertise and resources are unique in the experiential education fields.
If you’re a teacher, administrator, director, or educator looking to develop an international travel program involving sustainability, you’ve found your partner in Sustainable Learning. We work with both in-bound and out-bound groups.
This webpage will give you a sample of what’s possible. We encourage you to contact us to learn more.
Overview of Programs for Schools
We call our open enrollment summer programs “Sustainable Summer.” The itineraries and curricula listed under the Summer Programs for students section of this website can be adapted to your group or school’s particular needs and interests.
We can put together a program as short as 9 days to as long as a semester. The curricular segments that we’ve developed for our open enrollment programs can be connected, extended, contracted, or removed altogether depending on your desired learning outcomes and available time. We can generally structure each program around a specific sustainability theme or issue, such as renewable energy or food and agriculture.
There are four core principles that we use as the foundation of our curriculum:
- Sustainability Immersion Experience: Deep engagement in the subject and practice of sustainability
- Active Learning: Hands-on, collaborative, and participatory applications of concepts
- Leadership development: Communication, critical reflection, action planning, and more
- Environmental Study: An interdisciplinary study of human interaction with the environment
- a 9-day spring break program focused on sustainable development in the Amazon looking at micro-lending projects, micro-hydro, and agricultural collectives
- a 12-day environmental leadership workshop in NYC or at Dartmouth College
- a 9-day winter break program on ecology and conservation in the Galapagos Islands
- a 3-week summer program on permaculture, natural building, and renewable energy in Costa Rica
- a 4-week summer program on organic farming and sustainable agriculture in mainland Ecuador and ecology in the Galapagos
- a 8 to 10-week semester-length program covering a range of sustainability issues in a variety of regions
Complete this form to let us know trip duration and any particular sustainability topics you would like to see emphasized so we can put together some specific recommendations. You’ll receive an email confirmation with our complete catalog of options of custom sustainability programs for schools.