Environmental Leadership Academy
Sustainable Summer’s Environmental Leadership Academy at Dartmouth College enables the next generation of environmental leaders to engage in sustainability inquiry and action.
In this Summer Program at Dartmouth College…
- You’ll tackle challenging concepts in an interactive sustainability course and develop the knowledge, skills and values you need to engage with the world as a global citizen
- You’ll visit businesses with strong social and environmental commitments and enjoy guest lectures from leading sustainability experts
- You’ll live in a residence hall at Dartmouth College with other environmentally-minded high school students and experience college life on Dartmouth’s beautiful campus and the surrounding area
- You’ll hike and paddle through some of New England’s most beautiful places
- You’ll collaborate with a team of your peers to develop a new social venture
Your Sustainable Summer experience will span from Dartmouth’s campus and classrooms into the charming college town of Hanover, NH, and beyond. From visits to some of Vermont’s leading Benefit Corporations (B-Corps) to the summit in the White Mountains of New Hampshire in search of sustainability initiatives, inspiration, and ideas.
Our Dartmouth Environmental Leadership Academy is ideal for high school students with a strong interest in environmental sustainability, and is particularly well suited to students interested in entrepreneurship, business, and non-profits. Coursework on the program is rooted in environmental economics and environmental entrepreneurship. The program examines topics including the responsibilities that businesses and individuals have towards the planet and society; the limitations and advantages that different organizational structures and business models have in advancing positive sustainability outcomes; how markets function and how incentives affect individual, business and institutional behavior; and how environmental and natural resources are developed and managed.
With this foundation in place, the program then shifts focus to innovation whereby students learn how to start a company…by starting a company. During a 3-day “start-up” bootcamp participants are guided through the process of finding a market-oriented environmental problem worth solving and converting abstract ideas into real ventures.
Summer at Dartmouth
There are few college campuses that can rival Dartmouth’s as a place to get a taste for college living. Picture yourself working with a team of your peers to develop a pitch for a newly conceived “triple bottom line” business over coffee in the student center. Or going canoeing or swimming in the Connecticut River, a few minutes walk from your residence hall. You’ll get to experience campus life, but also get to enjoy some of the incredible wilderness nearby culminating in a summit of Mount Moosilauke, one of the finest day hikes in the White Mountains. Most days feature some combination of classroom-based learning and field-based and/or experiential learning. We want to get out and about exploring sustainability on campus and in the surrounding natural world. Contact us to find out more.